What’s the worst thing about being a Newcastle fan today?
- Having Mike Ashley as your inept owner?
- Being managerless with the first game of the season two weeks away?
- Having a comedy bright yellow deckchair away kit?
- No new signings this summer?
- Just watching pretty much your full strength side get hammered 6-1 by League One Leyton Orient?
Tricky one isn’t it. Now I know you can’t read too much into pre-season friendlies as it’s as much about fitness and match practice as it is about results. That said it’s not a good sign when a team lining up as Krul, Beye, Enrique, Taylor, Coloccini, Barton, Duff, Nolan, Gutierrez, Smith and Martins gets dispatched so easily.
There was an article I read this morning about how Shearer still expects/wants to become manager but is being frustrated when the delayed takeover means targets such as Frazier Campbell, Chris Gunter and Ched Evans are signing for other clubs. I look at that team above and there is a real lack of pace, something which would definitely come in handy in the Championship.
I still expect Newcastle to push for promotion straight back up (probably) but it’s just quite funny when you get these kind of results.
Meanwhile the rest of the football world reacts to today’s news…